Kedarkantha Trek is elevated to an astounding height of 12,500 feet and presents one of the most exciting experiences one can ever imagine having in the Indian Himalayas for all from beginners to adept trekkers. Perched at the Govind Pashu Vihar National Park, it exhibits a blend of the tranquillity of nature and the serenity of the views with a dramatic climb, charming lakes, rivers, and the magnificent Himalayan peaks. Kedarkantha Trek is widely famous as one of the best winter treks in the region as it welcomes photography and thrill enthusiasts to explore in some of the remotest villages in the challenging weather, Knee-deep snow, enthralling vistas especially from the summit, and with a moderate trail. From a grand experience to a great summit climb, reasons to do Kedarkantha Trek could be listed as many as the number of trekkers that have been there to date. But to conclude, the main attraction behind this trek would include the incomparable and rewarding summit ascent, spell-bounding sunsets, relaxing drive to the base camp, unique clearings and campsites, and charming forests with Deodar, Pine and Oak trees. The 18km drive to the base camp is undoubtedly a splendid experience to have, unlike any other trek. Kedarkantha trek finds you along the Mori valley alongside the River Tons.
The best time to experience the Kedarkantha trek, indeed, is during the winter season, however, it remains open for most of the year. To be exact, the Kedarkantha trek goes on for straight 10 months, marking November to April as the ideal time, except for July and August, which is the rainy season. With a high altitude, the temperature here ranges from 8°C to 15°C during the day and -5°C to 3°C at nighttime. The ascent to the Kedarkantha top starts from Sankri, a small village, and base camp for this trek. The glacial winter season is witnessed from November that stays till April.
Planning to do the amazing Kedarkantha trek? Book the trek now at an affordable price at Banbanjara!
The maximum elevation reached is 12,500 feet with 6 days of trekking stretching for 20 km of distance. It is well-known among trekkers for its challenging, charming and unique summit with a moderately easy grade for difficulty during all seasons of the year.
Read More: Leave No Trace: 8 Sustainable Travel Tips When Visiting Ireland
How to reach
- Kedarkantha trek in the Uttarkashi district is well connected by Jolly Grant Airport. It connects Dehradun domestically and offers daily flights from major metropolitan cities across India.
- To travel by train, the Dehradun Junction Railway Station is where you will end your journey and is comfortably connected with major cities like New Delhi and others.
- Travel the stretch of distance till Dehradun with family and friends by car or cab via motorable road network connected from any nearby city.
- Regularized bus services are also available in and out of Dehradun.
Things To Carry
- Trekking poles to help maintain balance and stability. It also reduces energy consumption while climbing.
- Backpack of 50-60 litre offering good hip and shoulder support powered by quick access pockets.
- Hiking shoes should be strong, sturdy and of good quality.
- Rain cover, Sun caps and RainWear/Poncho
- Two water bottles of one Litre or Hydration packs
- Synthetic hand gloves, Socks- keep an extra pair, Thermal inners, Woollen cap, Mittens, Scarf and Fleece jackets.
- After consulting the trek leader you must carry necessary documents and personal medications.
- Other major requirements include:
- Day pack (20-30l)
- Plastic covers
- Toilet Kit
- Headlamp or Torch
- Sturdy sleeping bag
Day 1: After arriving, drive from Dehradun to Sankri base camp of 200 Km
Day 2: Trek from Sankri, base camp, to Juda ka Talan of 5 Km
Day 3: Trek from Juda ka Talab to the Kedarkantha base of 5 Km
Day 4: Trek from Kedarkantha base camp to the Kedarkantha peak and back to the campsite —7 Km
Day 5: Trek back from campsite to Sankri of 8 Km
Day 6: Last day drive from base camp Sankri to Dehradun stretching of 200 Km
Major Attraction- Sankri Zipline Ride
For all the adventurers who search for an exciting and refreshing activity during the Kedarkantha trek, this one is just for you. Sankri Village offers Zipline adventure at the Saur village of Uttarkashi which is recognised as the highest zipline of Uttarakhand Himalayas. It vows to submit the adrenaline rush with the Zipline length of 700 meters as it also crosses over the Saur village of Sankri range. This fascinating sport submits aerial views of Saur village that are beyond the words to explain. Get this one marked in your Kedarkantha trek to-do list now!